Efficacy, tolerability and safety of intravenous iron sucrose in postpartum anaemia
Background: Anemia is one of major contributing factor in maternal mortality and morbidity in third world countries and according to the WHO, contributes to 40% maternal deaths. Postpartum anemia is observed in up to 27% of women.It is a common problem throughout the world. Treatment of postpartum iron deficiency anemia includes oral and parenteral iron supplmentaion as well as blood transfusion in severe cases. Methods: This was a prospective longitudinal study carried out in Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology of PRH, Loni. Total 80 women suffering from postpartum anemia of age above 18 years with haemoglobin (HB) level below 11gm/dl and above 6gm/dl were included for the study. After history taking, clinical examination and baseline Hb level, all of them were administered intravenous iron sucrose 200 mg per dose per day till the total calculated dose was administered. The post therapy evaluation was done with the estimation of Hb on day 1, day 7, day 14 and day 21. Results: 31.25% women belonged to the age group each of 19-21 years and 22-24 years. Maximum number of patients received 3 doses of IV Iron sucrose (i.e. total 600mg) followed by 2 doses (i.e. total 400mg), 4 doses (i.e. total 800mg) and 5 doses (i.e. total 1000mg) respectively. Hb level rises extremely significantly (p<0.001) after IV Iron Sucrose administration on day 1, 7, 14 & 21 as compared to corresponding values before delivery as analyzed by Friedman Test (Nonparametric Repeated Measures ANOVA) . 16 patients (20%) experienced thrombophlebitis to IV Iron Sucrose administration. About 12 (15%) patients experienced rigor followed by sweating in 10 patients (12.5%) and fever in 8 patients (10%). About 62 patients (77.5%) from total 80 reported well tolerability to IV Iron Sucrose while remaining 18 patients (22.5%) reported poor tolerability to IV Iron Sucrose Conclusion: Intravenous iron sucrose increases the haemoglobin more rapidly in first week as compared to second and third week in women with postpartum iron deficiency anemia. Hypersensitivity reaction, chest pain, dyspnoea reported with iron dextran and iron sorbitol citric acid were not observed with iron sucrose. Intravenous iron sucrose can be used safely to fill a rift between blood transfusion and oral iron in treatment of postpartum iron deficiency anemia.
International Journal of Clinical and Biomedical Research; Volume 5, Issue 1; Jan 2019.; 21-24
Copyright (c) 2019 Rucha Rajput, Ashish Podey, Tushar Baheti, Bangal V B, Sarita Deshpande