ORGANO PHOSPHORUS COMPOUND POISONING, COMPLICATED ACUTE RENAL FAILURE AND DELAYED POST HYPOXIC ENCEPHALOPATHY - A CASE REPORT
Babu S, Suresh
Organophosphorus compound (OPC) poisoning is one of the most common poisons in rural India. We present a 27 year old female patient who came to us in altered sensorium and froathing from mouth with an alleged history of OPC intake about 2 hours back. The patient was intubated, connected to a mechanical ventilator and atropinized. On day 3 of admission patient had elevated renal parameters and was diagnosed as Acute Renal Failure due to acute tubular necrosis probably poison induced. On day 4 of admission she suffered an acute cardiac arrest and was resuscitated; following this she gradually improved and after 3weeks of intensive management her sensorium deteriorated. MRI Brain showed Diffuse Cerebral White Matter Leukodystrophy due to DEMYELINATION (Hypoxia induced).
KEYWORDS: Organophosphorus compound poisoning; Acute renal failure; Demyelination; Leukoencephalopathy.
International Journal of Clinical and Biomedical Research; Volume 1, Issue 3; July 2015; 95-101
Copyright (c) 2015 Suresh Babu S, A K Badrinath, K Suresh, Debranjani C